Background

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Moments with Kate

Here's one example of a moment with my almost 12-year old daughter:

Yesterday I was talking with a friend, and Kate asked me how I knew this friend. So I explained to her that she used to live close to us and how we met. My friend, in turn, told Kate that she knew who Kate was only because she looks so much like me.

I can tell you this, Kate does not like it when people tell her that we look so much alike!

Kate then explains to my friend that she's going to go Emo and dye her hair black with a red streak or two.

check it out here if you aren't sure what Emo is----
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo_(slang)


I proceeded to tell her that I thought it would be cool to dye my hair black too, like hers, if she did it. Oh, the eye-rolling!!! It was great! I really think I will do it if she dyes hers.

7 comments:

gabriel said...

Maybe I'll get a tattoo of of a skull on the back of my head, too.

Joel said...

Parenthood does have its perks. ;-)

Courtney said...

I am having a hard time imagining Kate with an "emo" fashion sense.

Heck! I'm having a hard time imagining you with black hair and a red streak. lol.

Last time you guys here I did see her looking at some "emo" kids in the mall like they were pretty cool.

Oh, I'm glad I have a few more years before the teen/ pre-teen phases. :)

Joel said...

Yaknow, I had originally considered commenting with feigned concern/disgust at such a twisted expression of the purity of motherhood. Gabe, of course, quickly messed that up by being an equally twisted father--not that that eliminated the possibility of such a reply; it just messed with the particular angle I was leaning toward. Anyway, your twistedness is part of why I love y'all so much and identify with you, so I decided, in this case, to be more straightforward in my celebration.

Not that I won't be sarcastic in the future. And, Gabe, I think you can do better than a simple skull. I tend to believe that there's something sicker and darker that would both be more disturbing and more truly reflective of your soul. And that would really mess with the kid. I'm just sayin'.

Jana said...

I read the link on emo and still don't know what it is, but tell Kate that if she does it, so will I. That is what a good Mimi would do don't you think? And Gabriel, Joel has a point. By the way, I love the slide show.

gabriel said...

Do you really want to plumb the depths of my depravity???

Anonymous said...

If you look back in your memory you might find a picture of me with black fingernails, shaved head, Dickies coveralls with numbers embroidered on the back (which Mom happily did) and a new tattoo on my back (new when I was 18). Emo you say; I did it, kind of fun really. You should tell her that Kristina's generation invented Emo. She should call Kirstina and ask how all those Depeche Mode kids used to dress.

Greg R