Background

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

First Anniversary

This day marks the one year anniversary of my diagnosis of choriocarcinoma and the day the whirlwind of testing led to the whirlwind of learning about and acquiring the medications to be taken at home and the chemo drugs I would be given in the office, the out-patient surgery to implant a medi-port, and the beginning of chemo the very next week.

This day is a GOOD day because that's no longer a part of me. Yes, I still have the scar; yes, I still am left in a different state than where I was one year ago; yes, I still have the medi-port; and yes, I still blame my forgetfulness on "chemo brain." But that's not who I am.

This is a GOOD day because I AM ALIVE! I am able to spend this day with my family and friends. I am ABLE to look back and see what Great things the Lord has done in me and through me. I am ABLE to look forward to days ahead in which God will use what I have experienced to encourage and comfort others facing life-threatening illness---and even more!

"This is the day the L
ord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it."

Psalm 118:24

Read the whole psalm here... I SO relate to what he's saying. "I will not die; instead, I will live
to tell what the Lord has done."

I turned 34 yesterday. The time I spent in chemo is a little blip on the screen of a long life. My life here on earth is a blip on the screen of eternity--thankfully, it's only the beginning!

Want to know some more great news??? We paid off all our medical bills on Friday-- just before this anniversary!!! God is SOOO Good!!!

Let us be thankful for this day, for the Lord made it! Let us be joyful and be glad in it, too!! You're alive, and God still wants to use you!!

Psalm 118

1 Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good!
His faithful love endures forever.

2 Let all Israel repeat:
“His faithful love endures forever.”
3 Let Aaron’s descendants, the priests, repeat:
“His faithful love endures forever.”
4 Let all who fear the Lord repeat:
“His faithful love endures forever.”

5 In my distress I prayed to the Lord,
and the Lord answered me and set me free.
6 The Lord is for me, so I will have no fear.
What can mere people do to me?
7 Yes, the Lord is for me; he will help me.
I will look in triumph at those who hate me.
8 It is better to take refuge in the Lord
than to trust in people.
9 It is better to take refuge in the Lord
than to trust in princes.

10 Though hostile nations surrounded me,
I destroyed them all with the authority of the Lord.
11 Yes, they surrounded and attacked me,
but I destroyed them all with the authority of the Lord.
12 They swarmed around me like bees;
they blazed against me like a crackling fire.
But I destroyed them all with the authority of the Lord.
13 My enemies did their best to kill me,
but the Lord rescued me.
14 The Lord is my strength and my song;
he has given me victory.
15 Songs of joy and victory are sung in the camp of the godly.
The strong right arm of the Lord has done glorious things!
16 The strong right arm of the Lord is raised in triumph.
The strong right arm of the Lord has done glorious things!
17 I will not die; instead, I will live
to tell what the Lord has done.
18 The Lord has punished me severely,
but he did not let me die.

19 Open for me the gates where the righteous enter,
and I will go in and thank the Lord.
20 These gates lead to the presence of the Lord,
and the godly enter there.
21 I thank you for answering my prayer
and giving me victory!

22 The stone that the builders rejected
has now become the cornerstone.
23 This is the Lord’s doing,
and it is wonderful to see.
24 This is the day the Lord has made.
We will rejoice and be glad in it.

25 Please, Lord, please save us.
Please, Lord, please give us success.
26 Bless the one who comes in the name of the Lord.
We bless you from the house of the Lord.
27 The Lord is God, shining upon us.
Take the sacrifice and bind it with cords on the altar.
28 You are my God, and I will praise you!
You are my God, and I will exalt you!

29 Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good!
His faithful love endures forever.

6 comments:

gabriel said...

I'm thankful that I can spell methotrexate without having to look it up. :-)

But MUCH more thankful that you're here. :-) I love you.

Courtney said...

I thought of you last night at 11:58 and thought well, I could still call her on her birthday but I didn't think you would appreciate the late phone call. And remembering what you said about Gabe's response to Kate's late night phone calls, I didn't think Gabe would appreciate it either. lol. But, Happy Belated Birthday!

I am glad you are here too. I am rejoicing with you.

Wendie Beddingfield said...

No, late night e-mails work better than the phone calls! :) I don't mind the belated wishes, either, because that means my birthday lasts longer than just the one day. ;)

I was on the phone almost all day on Tuesday with family and friends calling--it was great, but I missed the Charlie Brown special because of it! The kids were bummed they had to watch it without me.

Joel said...

I'm glad and thankful you're here, Wendie.

This is one of my favorite psalms. I was first attracted to it (way back in the stone ages when I was a teenager) especially by v. 17, but it is so rich, lyrically and theologically; there's a lot to like and a lot of powerful, encouraging truth here.

On that note, I feel compelled to jump in on the response:
"His steadfast love endures forever."

Courtney said...

We have The Great Pumpkin on DVD. The kids have been watching it and Jackson found an old snoopy and has been sleeping with him and saying that he is
"Charlie The Brown" lol.

Jana said...

I watched you go through your treatments with humility and grace. You have claimed the blessings of the Lord all the way. You are a true inspiration to me and the rest of your family. We are all thankful you are here. Happy "First Anniversary"