Background

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Recognition

Have you ever just wanted to go through life without anyone recognizing you?

There have been many times I have, but I'm done with that now. No one ever recognizes me anymore, so I'm getting used to it, but I'm also hoping it will be less and less of an issue.

I just put my photo on the profile. I don't have too many pictures of myself, but my sweet husband did get a couple pics before my hair fell out during my chemotherapy this past fall. It came out by the handfuls, but I had A LOT of hair, so it took a while for it to be noticeable. When there were too many large bare spots, I bought a wig and scarves, and I had my hairdresser shave it all off for me. That was the beginning. Very few people recognized me with the new do (the wig), and even fewer with the scarves. When they began to recognize me wearing scarves more of the time, it actually became time for me to go without because my hair had begun to fill in once the chemo was completed. It's been two months now that I have ditched the scarves and the wig, but I can still walk by friends and acquaintances without them even knowing it was me who said "hi" to them.

I am EXTREMELY thankful for those friends who call me by name to show me that they know who I am. There are many of you out there, and I want you to know that you are very much appreciated, but I'd like to encourage you to remember to say the person's name as you talk with them...giving them the recognition and honor to show you care. They may not have the same issues I'm writing of here, but just as you are impressed with someone you hardly know remembering your name, they will be just as delighted to know that you cared enough to remember their name and say it aloud.

3 comments:

gabriel said...

"There's no sweeter music than the sound of your own name." - Dale Carnegie

Anonymous said...

I would recognize you anywhere, with or without hair. You were fearfully and wonderfully made, so remember that you are recognized by your Heavenly Father even when no one else does. Love, Jana

Valarie Lea said...

I know you are beautiful inside and out, long hair or short hair.

Syd cut her hair off the other day and she is giving it to Pantene "Beautiful Lengths". I blogged about it if you want to go see it.