Background

Monday, June 30, 2008

I hate "diets"

After gaining way too much weight following my chemotherapy and hysterectomy and after some wonderful encouragement from our pastor on self-discipline, I've finally committed to start the South Beach diet again. Gabriel has thankfully decided to join me.

Personally, I hate "diets," restrictions on "what" you can eat, counting calories, fat grams, etc, etc. However, I do see that I need more self-discipline, I need to eat more healthy foods, and if someone has come up with a plan I can adopt for myself and my family that will help me to develop good, healthy habits and help me to lose weight, I'm going to use that plan.

But...I still hate diets.

5 comments:

Valarie Lea said...

First thing is don't call it a diet. Its not a "diet", its a lifestyle change. Eating healthier and then having something fun everynow and then. :)

Diets make your mind think temporary. You want to eat healthy forever.

Courtney said...

Don't know if you've tried this but when we were staying at Jana's we came up with this really great little lunch that is good for phase one. You just heat up about 1/2 of a can of black beans or pinto beans with some low fat shredded cheese on top. Then you top it with salsa. Sam's has this great salsa over by the veggies an meat in the refrigerator case. It is a large square shaped jar and the name is Italian Rose Fresh Salsa (the Italian Rose is pretty small so it just looks like it says Fresh Salsa) Anyway, it is so good...tastes like real restaurant fresh salsa.

Wendie Beddingfield said...

Thank you for your encouragement!

I guess it does help if I start to think about it as a new "lifestyle," understanding that my old lifestyle was detrimental to my health and my wardrobe.

As long as we're starting to share recipes and tips, I just can't help but put up this link for an awesome recipe for grilled shrimp!
(Courtney, I know you hate seafood, but I couldn't help it.)

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe-Tools/Print/PrintFourBySix.aspx?RecipeID=12775&servings=6

Very Phase I friendly (South Beach), too!

Wendie Beddingfield said...

go to: allrecipes.com

Spicy Grilled Shrimp

Don't know if the link will work the way I put it in there--sorry!

gabriel said...

From time to time the kids will say this or that about "I need to go on a diet." I tell them: You're already ON a diet!!

A diet is just a list of foods that you eat and how much you eat them. You are always "on a diet." Kinda like Valarie said... you're just changing your diet.

Thanks, honey, for changing our diets. :-)